This past week, my family and I began studying Ephesians 1-3 and memorizing a prayer that I had written from the verses in the chapters. I was led to do this because God has been constantly confirming to me that it is time to walk in my spiritual authority.
For many years, this was something I was unable to do. Because of past failures, bad habits, and personality struggles, I really never felt deserving enough to embrace my heavenly inheritance. God’s grace was hard for me to embrace, thus making it difficult for me to extend His grace to others.
Over the last few days, God has given me a revelation about His grace – it isn’t a new revelation – just one I have failed to recognize until now – thus making it a new revelation for me :). He has opened my eyes to what it means to be “in Christ.” I realize that I have been trying to earn His grace, which is impossible.
My attempts to earn God’s grace has left me exhausted and humbled. I now realize that grace comes through my active faith in Jesus Christ alone. In, Christ, I stand forgiven and complete. In Christ, God sees me as holy and blameless. My job is to abide in this place, and I can only do this when I activate my inheritance – my spiritual authority that comes from being a child of God – a new creation where the old Joyelle is dead – and God is creating the new in me – Jesus Christ Who lives in me.
Father, I was once dead in my sin and disobedient to Your Word. I used to be just like the world; I used to obey the enemy. The devil’s spirit used to work in my heart, and I used to refuse to be obedient to You by following my passionate desires and inclinations of my sinful nature. Because of this position, I was subject to Your anger, just like everyone else. But I praise, You, God, because You are so rich in Your mercy. You love me so much that even though I was dead in my sins, You gave me life the moment You raised Jesus Christ from the dead. Because of Your grace, I have been saved (Ephesians 2:1-5).
I thank You that You have erased my past. Teach me to forget my past – to let it go – never to recall it again, except that You ask me to for a testimony of Your glory in me. You are doing something new in me. I am aware that it is springing up in me – now – a new season. You have made a roadway in the wilderness of my heart. What was once a dry desert, now has rivers of life flowing in it making it fertile soil for You to grow Your heavenly fruit (Isaiah 43:16-19).
I sing praise to You, and I thank You for The Name above all names – Jesus Christ. You were angry with me for a moment, but because I abide in Jesus Christ, Your favor upon me lasts a lifetime. I have spent my past seasons weeping, but morning has come, and I am in a new season of laughter and joy (Psalm 30:4-5).
I praise You because You give me new strength in my weariness. My lack is nothing for you because You are The One Who increases my power. As I learn to wait on You, You give me new strength. You have caused me to soar in victory like the eagles. You are teaching me to run with endurance. You are allowing me to walk without growing weary (Isaiah 40:29-31).
I recognize that Your grace is sufficient for me. Please help me to recognize that I can nothing that pleases You in myself or through my own efforts – but only through Jesus Christ – weak and totally dependent on You for every breath I breathe, word I speak, or action I take. I thank You that I cannot do it on my own; I would miserably mess it up. But Jesus Christ is perfectly strong in me (2 Corinthians 12:9).
Because Jesus never changes and sits at Your right hand, interceding on my behalf, I will not fail. You have given me all that I need to prosper in my spiritual authority. This authority is not given to me because I have earned it. I cannot earn it. You have given it to me because I am Yours, and as an heir to Your throne, it is part of my inheritance.
Praise be to You, God, the Father of the Lord Jesus Christ, Who has blessed me with ALL spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: according hath You chosen me before the foundation of the world to be holy and without blame before You in love (Ephesians 1:1-5).
I felt led to share something God has been speaking to me over and over again…
What it Means to Be A Child of God – Our Spiritual Authority
1. God’s people are destroyed for a lack of knowledge. (Hosea 4:6)
2. Through Jesus Christ, the Truth has been made known to us, and the Truth has set us free. (John 8:32)
3. Because of Jesus Christ, we have been reconciled to God. (2 Corinthians 5:19)
4. Our sins have been buried with Christ, and He has raised us from the dead, blotted out our transgressions, and nailed them to the cross. God has triumphed all principalities and powers. (Colossians 2:11-15)
5. We have been justified by faith, and we have the grace of Jesus Christ dwelling in us. We are victorious in our tribulations, and God is glorified in us as we encounter tribulations because God uses them to teach us patience, to give us experience, and to strengthen our hope. The grace of Jesus Christ reigns in our mortal bodies. (Romans 5)
6. We are partakers of a heavenly inheritance. We have been delivered from the power of darkness and translated into the Kingdom of Jesus Christ. (Colossians 1:12-20)
7. We are children of God, heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Jesus Christ. Even in our suffering, God is glorified in us. (Romans 8:17)
8. As a Child of God, every work that He did, even greater, we can accomplish because Jesus Christ is our advocate to the Father. In His name, He has promised that whatsoever we request, He will grant, according to His will. He has given us the Holy Spirit, our Comforter, and the Spirit of Truth. (John 14:12-20)
9. As we submit to God, we can resist the devil, and he must flee. As we draw nigh to God and allow Him to cleanse and purify us, He will give us a sound mind. As we humble ourselves before Him, He will lift us up. (James 4:7-10)
10. We can cast all our cares upon Him, Who cares for us. He will sober us and teach us to be diligent, so that we can resist the devil who is seeking to destroy us. Through Christ, we can stand steadfast in our faith, as God perfects us, establishes us, strengthens us, and settles us. (I Peter 5:4-11)
11. God has delivered us from the spirit of fear and has given us a spirit of power, love, and a sound mind. (2 Timothy 1:7).
12. We are children of God. He has overcome the world. Jesus Christ has made us overcomers because He lives in us. (I John 4:4)
13. We stand strong in the Lord, and He has equipped us with spiritual armor, so that we can stand against the wiles of the devil. We do not wrestle against man, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of darkness in this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. But God has given us all the spiritual clothing that we need to stand. He has given us Truth, His righteousness, peace, faith, salvation, His Word, and the ability to pray. As we use this armor, we will persevere. (Ephesians 6:10-18)
14. God will give us whatever we ask in Jesus name, that our joy may be full in Him (John 16:23-24)
15. He has given us the power to tread upon the enemy and promised us that nothing can harm us. (Luke 10:19)
16. Jesus Christ, Who sits at the right hand of the Father, has made His enemies His footstool. (Hebrews 1:13)
17. We have the authority to bind and loose on earth, and it bound and loosed in Heaven. (Matthew 18:18)
18. We have been commissioned to carry the Gospel of Jesus Christ and deliver the message of reconciliation to the world. In God’s power dwells in us, allowing us to cast out devils, speak in new tongues, and lay hands on the sick and see them recover. (Mark 16:15-18)
19. All power is given un to Jesus, Who has commanded us to teach the world all that He has commanded, and to baptize them. He is with us and works through us in this process. (Matthew 28:18-20)
20. Our old nature has been put off, and we have been commissioned to walk worthy of the call God has placed upon our lives to edify His Body – the Church. He has properly equipped us. He has given us understanding, taken away our ignorance, and lifted the blindness off our hearts. Our conversation should reflect this. Our minds are renewed, and we are clothed in a new man, which is created in righteousness and holiness. We should walk in a way that is careful not to grieve the Holy Spirit – we should be tenderhearted and forgiving. (Ephesians 4)
Prayer for Spiritual Authority – Ephesians 1-3
Blessed be God, the Father of the Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed me with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ.
According as He hath chosen me in Him before the foundation of the world, that I should be holy and without blame before Him in love: having predestined me unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, wherein He hath made me accepted in the beloved.
In Whom I have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace; wherein He hath abounded toward me in all wisdom and prudence; having made known unto me the mystery of His will, according to His good pleasure which He hath purposed in Himself: that in the dispensation of the fulness of times He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth.
In Whom also I have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who worketh all things after the counsel of His own will: that I should be to the praise of His glory, Who first trusted in Christ. In Whom I also trusted after I heard the word of truth, the gospel of my salvation: in whom also after that I believed, I was sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, which is the earnest of my inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of His glory…I cease not to give thanks, and I ask that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give me the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him: that my eyes of my understanding being enlightened; that I may know what is the hope of His calling, and what the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of His power to me who believes, according to the working of His mighty power, which He wrought in Christ, when He raised Him from the dead, and set Him at His right hand in the heavenly places, far above all principality, and power, and might, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come: and hath put all things under His feet, and gave Him to be the head over all things to the church, which is His body, the fullness of Him that filleth in all. He hath quickened me, who was dead in trespasses and sins; wherein times past I walked according to the prince of power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: among whom also I had my conversation in times past in the lusts of my flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of them, mind; and was by nature the children of wrath, even as others. But God, Who is rich in mercy, for His great love wherewith He loved me, even when I was dead in sins, hath quickened me together with Christ, by grace I am saved; and hath raised me up together, and made me to sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: that in the ages to come He might shew the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward me through Christ Jesus. For by grace I am saved through faith; and that not of myself: it is the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast. For I am His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ordained that I should walk in them. Wherefore, I remember that I being in time past a Gentile in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision in the flesh made by hands; that at that time I was without Christ, being an alien from the commonwealth of Israel, and a stranger from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
But now in Christ Jesus, I who sometimes was far off is made nigh by the blood of Christ. For He is my peace, Who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall between me, having abolished in His flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twin one new man, so making peace; and that He might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby; and came and preached peace to me who was afar off, and to them that were nigh.
For through Him, I have access by one Spirit unto the Father. Now therefore I am no more a stranger and foreigner, but a fellow-citizen with the saints, and of the household of God; and I am built upon the foundation of the apostles and the prophets, Jesus Christ Himself the chief corner stone; in Whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: In Whom I am built for and habitation of God through the Spirit…
I faint not at my tribulations for God, which is His for His glory. For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of my Lord Jesus Christ, of Whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, that He would grant me, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might by His Spirit in my inner man;
that Christ may dwell in my heart by faith; that I will be rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; and to know the love of God, which passeth knowledge,
that I might be filled with all the fulness of God. Now unto Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that I ask or think, according to the power that worketh in me, unto Him be the glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end.